Updated on Friday April 14, 2023: If you’re a regular user of TurboTax software then you probably already know that each year they run a number of different deals. And you’re in luck as we’re once again tracking the best TurboTax discounts for the 2023 tax season. Here’s our list of favorite deals you can take advantage of today (we are updating this list on an ongoing basis through this year’s tax deadline on Tuesday April 18, 2023).
Our Favorite TurboTax Discounts & Offers – April 2023:
- $5 off the online version of TurboTax Deluxe — Normally $59, now $54. The offer applies to either the standard version. If you upgrade to one of the Deluxe Live versions, either Assisted or Full Service, then you’ll save $5-$15 off the regular price. Follow the link to apply the discount. You have until midnight Pacific Time on April 18, 2023 to take advantage of this offer.
- $10 off the Premier online version of TurboTax — Normally $89, now $79. Same as above, if you upgrade to Premier Assisted or Full Service then you’ll save $5-$15 off the list price. You have until 11:59PM PST on April 18, 2023 to take advantage of this offer.
- $15 off the Self-Employed online version of TurboTax — Normally $119, now $104. This offer ends April 18, 2023.
- Get 50% off the Quickbooks/TurboTax Self-Employed Bundle — Save a little over 50% off your first 3 months of service (normally $25, now $12/month). If you already use Quickbooks to run your business accounting, then this offer is definitely worth considering, especially that there are no long-term contracts and that you can cancel anytime.
- Military discount available — All active E1 through E9 ranking military or reserve personnel can qualify for free federal and state filing with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier or Self-Employed (excludes TurboTax Live versions). Higher ranking officers/military personnel and above do not qualify for free TurboTax online federal products. Learn more.
- File for free online (for simple tax returns only) — You’ll pay nothing at all to file your federal and state taxes with the TurboTax Free Edition if you have a simple tax return. There’s no better deal than that! Just remember that this option is for folks that have a really simple tax for to send in (like many college students). That means if you need itemized dedications, have business income to report, have rental properties, stock sales, or other special items you need to report to the IRS, then you’ll have to get one of the paid versions.
Do I need to apply a promo code to activate my TurboTax discount?
No you don’t. That’s because all of offers posted above already have the appropriate discount codes embedded in the links; just click through and you’ll see the offer applied to your purchase. This is typical of TurboTax.
What’s a TurboTax “Service Code”?
If you decide to work through your tax return this year using the online version of TurboTax (the most popular option for most folks) you’ll notice a “service code” box once you approach checkout. The naming is confusing, but it’s just an area where you can enter a code if one was given to you from Intuit’s customer support team. From a case to case basis, their team sometimes issues codes to customers to either track a purchase back to a support agent or to apply a make-good price adjustment.
What other offers are available from TurboTax?
We here at Blacker Friday are working around the clock to track all of the most popular offers available this tax season. However, there are other offers available out there, most notably for select banking and financial institution customers.
For example, if you’re an American Express card holder then you can login to your online account and very this week’s available offers. The same goes for any of your other banking accounts, i.e. Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo, etc.. These offers tend to come and go — usually not available all tax-season long— and will vary depending on what type of customer you care (corporate, individual, high-wealth, etc.). It’s worth taking a look into your account to see if there is anything special available.
Which version of TurboTax should I choose?
If you’re filing a joint tax return, have multiple investments or W2 forms coming in, then it can be overwhelming when choosing with version of TurboTax to choose. You don’t want to start off a higher version than needed because not only is it not needed and more expensive to purchase, but also hard to downgrade as you’ll need to start over if switching to a lower version.
That’s why we recommend starting off with the lowest versions of TurboTax online… and that’s the “free” versions. Once you start filling out your return and adding your tax forms and income information, the program will guide you to the correct version of the software as you go along.
When’s this year’s tax deadline?
This year you’ll have up until Tuesday April 18, 2023 to file your federal tax return and pay any taxes you owe or to file a tax extension. If you are granted a tax extension then you’ll have until Monday October 16, 2023 to file, but you will still need to pay any estimated taxes owed by this deadline in order to avoid any late fees or interest charges.
If you have any questions or need assistance in applying one of these offers then be sure to let us know in the comments section located below.