Updated on Monday March 13, 2023: If you’re a user of TurboTax then you’re just a few clicks away from picking up a good deal before you file your return. We are again tracking the top TurboTax deals through the April 18, 2023 tax deadline — See below for a look at the most popular TurboTax offers available now, including those we found posted on tax related forums across the web (i.e. Reddit).
Our Favorite TurboTax Discounts, March 2023:
- $5.00 off the TurboTax Deluxe — Normally $59, now $54 with this offer. This is an automatic discount applied to your purchase when you follow the link. Valid on both the “live” support and regular versions. You’ll be able to take advantage of this deal through midnight PST on March 31, 2023.
- $10.00 off the TurboTax Premier (online version) — Normally priced at $89, it’s now $79 to file your Federal tax return with this deal. Offer also valid through March 31, 2023.
- $15.00 off TurboTax Self-Employed (online version) — Normally $119, it’s now $104. But if you upgrade to one of the Self-Employed “Live” versions then you’ll get $15 off. This deal will last through March 31, 2023.
- 50% off the Quickbooks/TurboTax Self-Employed Bundle — Get your first 3 months of service for just a little over 50% off (normally $25/month, it’s now $12/month). If you already use Quickbooks to run your business accounting, then this offer is definitely worth taking a look at. This is an ongoing introductory offer available to new customers only.
- Military discount — All E1 through E9 ranking military personnel can qualify for free federal and state filing TurboTax. If you need TurboTax Live federal products then a $20 off discount is offered. Just keep in mind that high ranking military personnel as well as veteran retirees do not qualify for free TurboTax federal products. See the complete offer details to learn more.
- File your simple tax returns free online — You’ll pay nothing at all to file your federal and state taxes with the TurboTax Free Edition if you have a simple tax return. There’s no better deal than that! Just remember that this option is for folks that have a really simple tax for to send in (i.e. many college students). That means if you need itemized dedications, have business income to report, have rental properties, stock sales, or other special items you need to report to the IRS, then you’ll have to get one of the paid versions.
What is a TurboTax Service Code?
You’ll notice that in the Online versions of TurboTax, right towards the end before you choose your payment options, there will the a “I have a service code” field. This is an area where you can either enter a coupon code if you’ve received one by mail or to track an order to a service agent if you received pre-purchase support. In most cases you will not need to enter anything here because the offers listed above are all automatically apply when you follow the provided link.
There are a few articles on Reddit where some people have reported getting free copies of TurboTax vis service code, but these are only in special circumstances and often hard to get.
What’s the difference between TurboTax Online and Desktop?
TurboTax comes in two different flavors — 100% web based and as a download where you need to install the software on your computer. Both options have their pros and cons. Let’s take a look at some of the highlights of each.
The online versions are convenient as there’s no software that needed to be installed and you can access your tax return from any internet-connected device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.). You’ll also be able to access any previous tax returns as a copy is save in your accounts history. The disadvantage of TurboTax Online is that there’s always a risk, however small it may be, that your online account will be compromised.
With the desktop version of TurboTax you loose many of the convince features. You have to download and install software and can only work on one machine. Plus because your tax return is stored locally, if anything happens to your computer then you risk loosing your tax return if you haven’t backed up a copy elsewhere. But you do gain in security as your personal information is not stored in the cloud.
Although we do our best to update these TurboTax deals daily by scouring the web, reading up on how much others are saving on forums like Reddit, etc., we’re not perfect. If you’ve happened to find a better deal on TurboTax then we’d love to know about it. Please let us know in the comments below.