Updated on Monday March 25, 2019: Tax season is upon us once again. And if you’re a user of TurboTax then you’re just a few clicks away from picking up a good deal before you file your return. We’re tracking all of the most popular offers this tax season, including those found on popular forums like Reddit, and will be updating this list daily from now through April 15th. Here are the most popular TurboTax discounts available at the moment:
- $5.00 off the TurboTax Deluxe — This is an automatic offer applied to your purchase when you follow the link (the service code is built into it). You’ll be able to take advantage of this offer through March 31, 2019.
- $10.00 off the TurboTax Premier (online version) — Offer valid through March 31, 2019.
- $15.00 off TurboTax Self-Employed (online version) — This deal also ends on March 31, 2019.
- 29% off the Quickbooks/TurboTax Self-Employed Bundle — If you already use Quickbooks to run your business accounting, then this offer is definitely worth taking a look at. This is an ongoing introductory offer available to new customers only.
- TurboTax Download Now on Sale — If you need a copy of TurboTax’s CD or Download version, there no discounts offered at TurboTax’s site at the moment. However Amazon appears to have most versions on sale today with the ability to download the software immediately after checkout if you choose (will be in your Amazon Digital Library as a download). You can also have the option of having the box physically shipped to you, but just keep in mind of the shipping time as we approach the April 15th deadline. Sale prices will vary so see their site for details.
- Military discount — All E1 through E5 ranking military personnel can qualify for free federal and state filing TurboTax Deluxe. If you need Premier, Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live federal products then a $5 off discount is offered. E6 and above ranking military personnel will also get a $5 off discount on all TurboTax federal products (excludes State returns).
- File for free online — You’ll pay nothing at all to file your federal and state taxes with the TurboTax Free Edition if you have a simple tax return. There’s no better deal than that! Just remember that this option is for folks that have a really simple tax for to send in. That means if you need itemized dedications, have business income to report, have rental properties, stock sales, or other special items you need to report to the IRS, then you’ll have to get one of the paid versions.
What is a TurboTax Service Code?
You’ll notice that in the Online versions of TurboTax, right towards the end before you choose your payment options, there will the a “I have a service code” field. This is an area where you can either enter a coupon code if you’ve received one by mail or to track an order to a service agent if you received pre-purchase support. In most cases you will not need to enter anything here because the offers listed above are all automatically apply when you follow the provided link.
There are a few articles on Reddit where some people have reported getting free copies of TurboTax vis service code, but these are only in special circumstances and often hard to get.
What’s the difference between TurboTax Online and Desktop?
TurboTax comes in two different flavors — 100% web based and as a download where you need to install the software on your computer. Both options have their pros and cons. Let’s take a look at some of the highlights of each.
The online versions are convenient as there’s no software that needed to be installed and you can access your tax return from any internet-connected device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.). You’ll also be able to access any previous tax returns as a copy is save in your accounts history. The disadvantage of TurboTax Online is that there’s always a risk, however small it may be, that your online account will be compromised.
With the desktop version of TurboTax you loose many of the convince features. You have to download and install software and can only work on one machine. Plus because your tax return is stored locally, if anything happens to your computer then you risk loosing your tax return if you haven’t backed up a copy elsewhere. But you do gain in security as your personal information is not stored in the cloud.
Questions and comments.
Although we do our best to update these TurboTax deals daily by scouring the web, reading up on how much others are saving on forums like Reddit, etc., we’re not perfect. If you’ve happened to find a better deal on TurboTax then we’d love to know about it. Please let us know in the comments below.