Updated February 20, 2017: For most of us, 2016 is all but a distant memory… the only thing that’s still left is to send in our tax returns. But hopefully you’ll have a sweet, small fortune in the form or a tax refund coming your way so it won’t be so bad.
Either way, why pay full price on your tax software when you don’t have to – right? That’s where we come in. We are tracking our favorite discounts and service codes on TurboTax to help you find the best price possible on your tax prep software. Here’s a list of our favorite TurboTax deals and service codes available here in February, 2017.
Our Favorite TurboTax Deals, Feb 2017:
- Offer #1: Get an EXTRA 20% off on TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, or the new Self-Employeed (formally called Home & Business) editions, when ordered directly at intuit.com. This is an instant offer, meaning that you’ll need to make your purchase from their special offers page to apply the discount. Just hurry because this offer ends February 25, 2017. The online versions of TurboTax seem to be the most popular choice these last few years as there’s no software to install and you work on your return from any one of your computers or tablets (especially helpful if you and any your spouse both work on your taxes together if you have an accountant review your return before filing).
- Offer #2: Save $10.00 to $20.00 on the CD/download version of TurboTax at intuit.com. If you prefer to not work on tax return online and rather have everything on your local hard drive, then this is the way to go. The discount varies depending on the version you end up choosing; the Basic and Deluxe version is $10.00 off, the Premier version is $15.00 off, and the Home & Business version is $20.00 off. You’ll also have the option to download and install the software after you complete your checkout so need to wait for any discs to arrive in the mail.
- Offer #3: If you’re a QuickBooks user, then they offer a TurboTax bundle for small business owners. You can get the QuickBooks Self Employed Tax bundle which lets you use QuickBooks all year long and then, once tax season comes, you can file with TurboTax Home & Business. The plan is now on sale for $12/month for your first 6 months in the program. Then after eh introductory period, it’ll cost you $17/month, but you’ll be able to cancel at any time.
- Offer #4: There’s also something called TurboTax Advantage Program where if you signup to their auto-renew program (where you buy TurboTax automatically each year once it’s released) you’ll get some extra perk for free. That includes live phone support from a dedicated line, free shipping, and access or re-download of your tax product purchased for up to 3 years. See Intuit’s site for full details on the program.
- Offer #5: Haven’t ever used TurboTax before? Thinking about trying it for the first time this year? Or maybe you just want to estimate you tax refund? Then you can work through almost your entire return for free with any of TurboTax’s Online versions. It’ll guide you through your tax forms, apply your anticipated deductions, and give you an overview on how big of a refund you can expect this year (or for those unlucky folks, how much you still owe in State and/or Federal taxes). A the end it’ll ask you to pay to file which at that time you can stop.
- Offer #6: You’ve heard the saying “nothing in life is free” right? Well, for a select few, you can score free TurboTax software for the 2017 tax season. If you have a very simple 2016 tax return to file (only a few basic forms are supported) then you may qualify to use the Federal Free edition free of charge. There is also a military free option for those in active military service (rank E1 through E5 only). All of these details can also be found here on TurboTax’s website.
- Offer #7: Get up to $20.00 off on TurboTax 2016 versions on sale at Amazon. If you need the Desktop version of TurboTax, Amazon has all of them available and priced pretty competitively compared to the the competition. We’ve seen both the Premier and the Home and Business versions for up to $20.00 off the list price (that’s about 22% off or so). However, Amazon’s prices tend to vary daily so just keep that in mind. Free shipping is often also included if you need to box/cd and similar to Intuit, you can also choose the download your software instead of receiving it in the mail if that’s what you prefer.
- Offer #8: If you’re a poor student and are just filing a simple tax return this year, then you may be able to do so for free with the Federal Free Edition. Plus, TurboTax will help you find all of those sneaky education credits and deductions to help you get up to $1,000 back in education credits if you qualify. They also have a Benefit Assist feature that can help you find up to $2,000 in government benefits. And whatever tax refund that may be coming your way can be placed on a prepaid NetSpend Visa card.
- Offer #9: If you served our great country for any part of 2016 and received a military W2 tax form, then you may qualify to file your taxes completely for free with the TurboTax Freedom Edition. As long as you rank between E-1 and E-5 and don’t need to use the expanded Premier or Self-Employed versions of TurboTax to file your taxes this year, then this is a great freebee to take advantage of. Check out their site for full details on the offer and all of the extra tax support that’s included with the Deluxe version.
- Offer #10: If “party time” is your middle name, then you should look into getting signed up to Turbotax’s You Party. They will sponsor your next get together with a goodie box filled with balloons, assorted party favorites, and discounts for all your fiends in return for you to spread the word about their tax software. Unfortunately, beer and pizza is not included. Not everyone is selected so just keep that in mind when filling out the registration form.
- Offer #11: TurboTax, just like all other companies, love new customers and are willing to pay a referral fee to get them. If you have any friends or family that have never used TurboTax but are looking to try it out this year, then you can send them your signup link. You’ll get a $10.00 Amazon gift card for each qualifying person you send over and your referral will get a 20% off coupon to use as well – It’s a win-win for everyone!
You’ll notice that none of these offers require you to use coupon codes (or service codes as they are also know as) at checkout. That’s because most of the deals are link-based, meaning they will be applied automatically to your order. Others, like the Amazon deals are just sale prices with most of the bundle offers require you to purchase two qualifying products to get the special discounted price. That’s simple enough, right?
Oh and we should also say that it’s also worth checking with your local credit union, credit card company or bank to see if they are partnered with TurboTax. In the past, financial institutions like Capital One, Bank of America, Citi Bank, Vanguard, Merrill Lynch, AAA, Nasa Federal Credit Union, PenFed, and Discover Card have all discounts in the past. Some of the deals we along the line of just a few bucks off while others offered up to $20.00 off. The discounts will vary by company and will depend on your customer level (in the past, premium-level customers were given the best discounts and sometimes even TurboTax for free).
Find any other good deals on TurboTax that aren’t yet posted here?
If you’ve found any other pretty good promotions on TurboTax or have a coupon code/service code to share with us, then let us know in the comments below. Remember, sharing is caring.