Updated on Saturday April 4, 2020: For most of us, it’s hard to recall what happened a few days ago, let alone last year. But it’s tax season and time to work on your return. Hopefully you’ll have a sweet, small fortune in the form of a tax refund coming your way so maybe it won’t be so bad to file.
Either way, why pay full price on your tax software when you don’t have to – right? That’s where we can help! We’re tracking all the top discounts and service codes (a.k.a. coupons) on TurboTax again during the 2020 season to help you find the best price possible on your tax prep software. Here’s a list of our favorites available today.
IMPORTANT NEWS: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, the IRS has officially pushed out this year's tax filing and payment deadlines from April 15th to July 15th, 2020. Learn more.
Our Favorite TurboTax Deals, April 2020:
- Offer #1: Get an EXTRA $5 to $15 off on TurboTax Online versions when ordered directly at intuit.com. Choose from either the regular online or new “live” editions. Offer ends on midnight on April 10, 2020.
- This is an instant discount sale with no additional rebates or codes required. The online versions of TurboTax are the most popular choice these last few years as there’s no software to install and you work on your return from any one of your computers or tablets (especially helpful if you and your spouse both work on your taxes together if you have an accountant review your return before filing).
- Offer #2: The QuickBooks Self-Employed Tax bundle lets you use QuickBooks all year long and then, once tax season comes along, file with TurboTax Self-Employed.
- If you’re already a QuickBooks user then this is definitely worth taking a look at, especially if you are a small business owner that prefers to back up your tax data online rather than having everything stored on your local hard drive. The plan is now on sale for $12/month for your first 3 months in the program. Then after the introductory period, it’ll cost you $17/month, but you’ll be able to cancel at any time.
- Offer #3: There’s something called the TurboTax Advantage Program where if you signup to their auto-renew program (where you buy TurboTax automatically each year once it’s released) you’ll get some extra free perks.
- It’s completely free to join and includes live phone support from a dedicated help line, free product shipping (if you choose the CD versions), and up to 3-years of access or re-download of your tax product purchased. See Intuit’s site for full details on the program.
- Offer #4: Haven’t ever used TurboTax before? Thinking about trying it for the first time this year? Or maybe you just want to estimate you tax refund? Then you can work through almost your entire return for free with any of TurboTax’s Online versions.
- It’ll guide you through your tax forms, apply your anticipated deductions and give you an overview on how big of a refund you can expect this year (or for those unlucky folks, how much you still owe in State and/or Federal taxes). You can also check out the bank syncing feature with your Bank of America, Citi, Discover, or any other larger financial institution and see how easy it is to import your tax data. Then once you reach the end, it’ll ask you to pay if you wish to file. If you don’t, it doesn’t cost you anything. It’s as simple as that!
- Offer #5: You’ve heard the saying “nothing in life is free” right? Well, for those serving our country in the military, you may qualify for free TurboTax software for the 2019 tax season with the TurboTax Freedom Edition.
- The free option for those in active military service (rank E1 through E5 only). If you rank E6 or higher it’s no longer free but there is an additional discount available for you. A military W2 tax form from 2019 is required to apply the discount. See Intuit.com for full details and how to qualify.
- Offer #6: If you’re a poor student and are just filing a simple tax return this year, then you may be able to do so for free with the Federal Free Edition.
- Plus, TurboTax will help you find all of those sneaky education credits and deductions to help you get up to $1,000 back in education credits if you qualify. They also have a Benefit Assist feature that can help you find up to $2,000 in government benefits. And whatever tax refund that may be coming your way can be placed on a prepaid NetSpend Visa card.
You’ll notice that none of these offers on this page require you to use any physical coupon codes at checkout (or “service codes” as they are also know as). That’s because most of the deals are link-based, meaning they will be applied automatically to your order. Others, like the Amazon deals are just sale prices with most of the bundle offers require you to purchase two qualifying products to get the special discounted price. That’s simple enough, right?
Oh and we should also say that it’s also worth checking with your local credit union, credit card company or bank to see if they are partnered with TurboTax. In the past, financial institutions like Capital One, Bank of America, Citi Bank, Vanguard, Merrill Lynch, AAA, Nasa Federal Credit Union, PenFed, and Discover Card have all discounts in the past. Some of the deals we along the line of just a few bucks off while others offered up to $20.00 off. The discounts will vary by company and will depend on your customer level (in the past, premium-level customers were given the best discounts and sometimes even TurboTax for free).
Leave your questions and comments below. We look forward to hearing form you!