Updated March 31st, 2016: Black Friday may be far, far away from now, but tax season is now and the deadline to file our returns this year is quickly approaching (it’s April 18th this year!). We’re tracking our favorite offers on TurboTax this year so that you can save a few bucks on you personal tax prep software. Here’s a list of our favorite discounts and service codes now available in April 2016.
The Best TurboTax Deals for April 2016
- Offer #1:
Save 10%Save 18% on Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business, the online versions, when ordered directly at intuit.com. We just got this updated deal that takes the discount level from 10% to 18%… that’s by far the best deal you’ll now be able to get from Intuit this close to the tax deadline. This is an instant offer, meaning that you’ll need to make your purchase from this page to apply the discount. The online versions of TurboTax seem to be the most popular choice these last few years as there’s no software to install and you work on your return from any one of your computers or tablets (especially helpful if you and any your spouse both work on your taxes together if you have an accountant review your return before filing). This offer ends on April 18th, 2016.
- Offer #2: Save $10.00 to $20.00 on the CD/download version of TurboTax at intuit.com. If you prefer to not work on tax return online and rather have everything on your local hard drive, then this is the way to go. The discount varies depending on the version you end up choosing. You’ll also have the option to download your purchase so need to wait for any discs to arrive in the mail… or, if you’re like us, none of our macs here in the office even have a disk drive anymore so that’s he only way you can get it loaded on your machine.
- Offer #3: Get up to $20.00 off on TurboTax 2016 versions on sale at Amazon. It’s getting late in the in the tax season but you can still find some pretty good deals at some of Intuit’s resellers, like Amazon. We’ve seen both the Premier and the Home and Business versions for up to $21.00 off the list price (that’s about 23% off). However, Amazon’s prices tend to vary daily so just keep that in mind. Free shipping is often also included if you need to box/cd and similar to Intuit, you can also choose the download your software instead of receiving it in the mail if that’s what you prefer.
- Offer #4: There are also a number of TurboTax Bundles available during the 2016 tax season this year. You can pick up TurboTax with Quicken 2016 (Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business) and save either $35.00 at NewEgg or $20.00 at Amazon. You can get the QuickBooks Self Employed Tax bundle and get both QuickBooks all year long and TurboTax Home & Business during tax season for as low as $11.99/month. There’s also something called TurboTax Advantage Program where if you signup to their auto-renew program (where you buy TurboTax automatically each year once it’s released) you can get a free copy of Quicken Starter Edition or 50% any of the other versions you choose when ordered at intuit.com.
- Offer #5: Haven’t ever used TurboTax before? Thinking about trying it for the first time this year? Or maybe you just want to estimate you tax refund? Then you can work through almost your entire return for free with any of TurboTax’s Online versions. It’ll guide you through your tax forms, apply your anticipated deductions, and give you an overview on how big of a refund you can expect this year (or for those unlucky folks, how much you still owe is State and/or Federal taxes). A the end it’ll ask you to pay to file which at that time you can stop.
- Offer #6: You’ve heard the saying “nothing in life is free” right? Well, for a select few, you can score free TurboTax software for the 2016 tax season. If you have a very simple tax return to file (only a few basic forms are supported) then you may qualify to use the Federal Free edition free of charge (students seem to qualify for this). There is also a military free option for those in active military service (rank E1 through E5 only). All of these details can also be found here on TurboTax’s website.
- Offer #7: This deal is not from TurboTax, but it’s one you should consider. H&R Block offers an entire line do-it-yourself tax software that’s very similar to TurboTax. Not only is it cheaper in most cases, but this year they are offering a 10% bonus refund just like TurboTax offered last year where you can choose to have part or all or the tax refund coming to you be put on a store gift card. If you do so, you’ll get an extra 10% put on top of the amount you choose. You have a number of different stores to choose from, including Amazon, Target, Home Depot, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Kohl’s, REI, iTunes, and more. That’s not great deal especially if you shop regularly at any of these retailers.
You’ll notice that none of these offers require you to use coupon codes (or special offer codes as they are know as) at checkout. That’s because most of the deals are link-based, meaning they will be applied automatically to your order. Others, like the Amazon deals are just sale prices with most of the bundle offers require you to purchase two qualifying products to get the special discounted price. That’s simple enough, right?
Oh and we should also say that it’s also worth checking with your local credit union, credit card company or bank to see if they are partnered with TurboTax. In the past, financial institutions like Capital One, Bank of America (the most popular turbotax discount for 2016), Citi Bank, Vanguard, Merrill Lynch, AAA, Nasa Federal Credit Union, PenFed, and Discover Card have all discounts in the past. Some of the deals we along the line of just a few bucks off while others offered up to $20.00 off. The discounts will vary by company and will depend on your customer level (typically premium-level customers were given the best discounts and something even TurboTax for free).
Find any other good deals on TurboTax that aren’t yet posted here?
If you’ve found any other great deals on TurboTax or a coupon code/service code to share with us, then let us know in the comments below.